Sunday, May 17, 2015

Review ~ Zoo by Tara Elizabeth

TITLE: Zoo 
AUTHOR: Tara Elizabeth
COPYRIGHT: 2013
TYPE: young adult
PAGES: 290
SERIES: 
yes

REASON FOR READ:
The whole plot sounded beyond interesting

SUMMARY (from Goodreads):
A chronicle of my time living in a zoo . . . I'm not really sure where to start, and you may have trouble believing me even as I tell you my story. My family did. They laughed the first time I told them, so now I just say it was all a crazy dream. You see, I died in a totally preventable car accident . . . or so I thought. When I opened my eyes, I was shocked to discover that I had been resurrected into the year 2282 and, just as unbelievably, was locked up in a zoo! A HUMAN ZOO! Oh wait, I mean the People's Past Anthropological Center.

The Global Government created the Centers because all of the different cultures of the world had, over centuries of time, slowly absorbed into one uniform culture. Everything and everybody felt the same, and the world didn’t like it. So, to help the people of 2282 find cultures they thought worthy to live their lives by, they used time travel to zap the people of the past into the future. They created enclosures to house their live human exhibits. And that's what happened to me. I became a research project, a source of entertainment. I was a prisoner who was over two hundred years away from my family and friends.

Most of my time in the enclosure was spent trying to escape. I also made friends, lost friends, fell in love, was betrayed, was held captive within captivity, and lots of other fun stuff. There were some shocking moments and some devastating moments . . . It’s a lot to recount, but I’ll try my best to tell you all about my time travel . . . PAST, PRESENT, and FUTURE.

I'm Emma, by the way.

THOUGHTS/OPINION:
Man I had a love hate relationship with this book. I kept going back and forth. I would start to love it and then I would turn around and hate it. I think I put on goodreads my initial thoughts like this: 
So this is a complicated review... that will need some thoughts. 
Liked the plot
Hated the main character
Loved Kale
Hated James
Loved hated this story... 

And sadly this is still how I am when I think about this book which is sad b/c I am not really still thinking about this book. The plot itself had so much promise. A place in the future where people are kept on display for people to look at. The main character however, was such a whiny, selfish, flat, not likable at all character. I actually kept rooting for something bad to actually happen to her that would knock her down a peg or two and that usually isn't how I roll. Add to it her insta-love attraction to a cowboy named James in the enclosure across the way to her (and we know how much I hate the insta-love plot device for no other reason than MAN he's HAWT and oh I'm a virgin so I wouldn't know what to do with him anyway I just know that he's my soul mate cause he fine) freaking a shoot me now.  Then throw in Kale who I actually liked he was a good guy who proved way too many times he was better than the main character would ever deserve yet we all knew that by the time she figured that out it would be a too little too late yet she would get him in the end kind of thing. Hated the cowboy James who however, fit his time frame so I can't even blame him. And then there's Victoria who was like 13 that Emma was so mean to just b/c she happened to be the one that was picked by the zoo keepers to be the cowboy's mate. Dude not her fault get over yourself. See, see what I mean this book made me act like a teenager I was like SLOW YOUR FREAKING ROLL and GROW THE HELL UP then I was like okay I'm done skim, skim, oh that's interesting, skim, skim, oh cool, skim, skim, oh good we're done. 
Needless to say I think you get the point this book had great potential sadly for me it just fell flat and din't work. 

Favorite part or line from story:
Even thought parts of this story got on my nerves I enjoyed when Emma and James wrote on the wall in mud. I thought that was very sweet and enduring. 

FINAL GRADE: 2 out of 5 stars

Would you recommend this story? no


Is this a part of a reading challenge?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping in I appreciate you taking the time to leave some feedback! Hope you have a fantastic day 😄