Monday, April 11, 2011

Re-Review ~ Unshapely Things by Mark Del Franco

TITLE: Unshapely Things
AUTHOR: Mark Del Franco
COPYRIGHT: 1/30/2007
TYPE: urban fantasy
PAGES: 305
SERIES: Yes first in a five book series so far

REASON FOR READING:
I apparently read this the first time in September of 2007. Since I had the next ones in the series I thought I should re-read it in order to remember for the next books.

SUMMARY (from Goodreads):
In the alleys of the decrepit Boston neighborhood known as the Weird, fairy prostitutes are turning up dead. The crime scenes show signs of residual magic, but the Guild, which polices the fey, has more "important" crimes to investigate and dumps the case on human law enforcement.


Boston police call in Connor Grey, a druid and former hotshot Guild investigator-whose magical abilities were crippled after a run-in with a radical environmentalist elf. As Connor battles red tape and his own shortcomings, he realizes that the murders are not random, but part of an ancient magical ritual. And if Connor can't figure out the killer's M.O., the culmination of the spell might just bring about a worldwide cataclysm

THOUGHTS/OPINION:
For some reason the first time around I was absolutely madly in love with this book. I thought it was awesome. Since my second reading of this book my thoughts have changed. I thought it moved really slowly in parts. I felt like a lot was being set up and a lot of history was being told.

Now that I’ve said all that please keep in mind it could be because this was a re-read so I might have been remembering the book over and over again. I did enjoy the characters I did enjoy the mystery aspect. I liked that Connor Grey reminded me a lot of Harry Dresden but not so much that I was rolling my eyes and constantly comparing him to my Harry.

I liked that Connor had something wrong with him something that took him from being SUPER powerful to an almost human like state. And he had a good group of friends that stood by him and helped whenever possible.

What I didn’t like is how whinny he came off sometimes. Poor me, I can’t do this, wow I was so powerful and now I can’t do anything. It got a little old after a while and I wanted nothing more than to reach through the page and shake him. I am glad that eventually he learned that while he didn’t have all the power he did have some uses.

The mystery was good enough that I couldn’t remember who did it which is because I usually remember things like that but for some reason this time I just couldn’t and that was nice. It’s also a big fear when re-reading that I might remember everything and thus not enjoy the re-read. Once I got to the middle part I was back on track and thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Are you keeping it or passing it on? This will depend on the second book if I enjoy it I will keep the series if not I will put it on the giveaway list.

Would you recommend this book? I do think so far this series is pretty good. If you like the Harry Dresden books then this will be right up your alley



Challenges:
Re-read Challenge
Out Do Yourself Challenge

Reviewing Next:
The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie by Jennifer Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping in I appreciate you taking the time to leave some feedback! Hope you have a fantastic day 😄