Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Review ~ Switched by Amanda Hocking


TITLE: Switched
AUTHOR: Amanda Hocking
COPYRIGHT: 2010
TYPE: YA fantasy/romance
PAGES: 304
SERIES: Yes I think there are 3

REASON FOR READING: I got a Kindle and this was SUPER cheap so I thought as a first purchase it would be interesting.

SUMMARY (from Goodreads):
When Wendy Everly was six-years-old, her mother was convinced she was a monster and tried to kill her. It isn't until eleven years later that Wendy finds out her mother might've been telling the truth. With the help of Finn Holmes, Wendy finds herself in a world she never knew existed - and it's one she's not sure if she wants to be a part of.

THOUGHTS/OPINION:
Man the concept blew me out of the water. Trolls that are beautiful and powerful the catch they are changelings which really threw me b/c I associate those with fairy for some reason. So needless to say the plot had me at page one. The sad part was Wendy she is 17 ½ and I get that her mother tried to kill her b/c she knew deep down she wasn’t human. I get that and I get that you realize yourself you just don’t fit in. That beings said can you whine any more about how unfair life is that you’re a troll, that you don’t belong, oh and hell you’re a princess how sucky is that…

Yep keep that pace throughout the second part of the book. Then enter Finn the dashing young tracker who sends our little princesses heart all a pitter patter. So much so she turns into Bella in Twilight where she is so OBESSED she can’t see straight, she can’t think and GOD forbid she listens to anyone that this isn’t going to go well. Needless to say this book had some wonderful things and some things that reminded me that while YA is good it’s not something I should read regularly.

THINGS I LIKED:
- I LOVED the world-building it blew my mind the way it was set up. I can tell there are still more twist and turns coming in the next few books but as of now I’m digging the world.

- I like the concept of changelings and how Wendy doesn’t approve of them. I think that had she been loved by her mother then she might be different but I see her point and I like how that was incorporated.

- I actually like pretty much all of the characters minus Wendy at times. I really couldn’t connect with her but the other characters were fascinating enough to hold my attention.

THINGS I DIDN'T LIKE:
- Wendy and the whining that being said I work with teenagers regularly so I understand how they are. Which might be why I just can’t take it all the time especially when I’m reading to escape.

Are you keeping it or passing it on? Passing

Would you recommend this book? I actually would and have so far recommended this book to the YA readers out there and to some friends who enjoy great world-building




Challenges:
Out Do Yourself
E-book challenge

Reviewing Next:
Not sure hoping either book 2 in this series or Unshapely Things a re-read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping in I appreciate you taking the time to leave some feedback! Hope you have a fantastic day 😄