Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Train ride to Chicago from KC


So I rode my first train in this country on the 13th of this month. It was my first time on a train that didn't require me to squeeze into a seat with someone I didn't like b/c of the picture above. My train ride had a dinner cart, snack cart and a wonderful observation car which was fantastic for someone like me who didn't want to be trapped next to a kid who refused to trade seats but wanted to talk over me to his grandparents across the aisle. So off I wondered to the observation deck and saw beautiful grass, corn, and well flat land.
And then out of the clear blue we saw the beautiful Mississippi River which was a nice break before continuing our journey to Chicago. I have to say if you are going to take a 7 hour train ride up north than a train is the way to go. That being said I didn't care for the dinning experience that was unique. I
If you've never rode a train before than you may not know that the dinning cart is a community experience which means you eat with random strangers and can I just say that sometimes that isn't a good thing. Especially if you get an orthopedic surgeon who doesn't want to talk about anything except how successful he's been and how horrible his ex-wife has been. Needless to say lunch was very stressful to this young gal who didn't enjoy listening to any of it and just wanted to eat her cheese sandwich in peace. Needless to say that wasn't happening if this guy had his way. He also was weird.
The only downside beside community eating is of course the bumpy bumpy ride it was never still unless we were stopped which I have to say was a rare thing indeed. That being said I have to admit the view is to die for it was a comfortable ride with (no wi-fi) but fun none the less. I sat back and listened to music, read my kindle drank my drink and relaxed. A great way to start off a vacation.
Monday I get to do it again because I am going home the same way.

What about you? Have you ever taking a train anywhere? Did you love it? Hate it? What should I do next on my train journeys?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping in I appreciate you taking the time to leave some feedback! Hope you have a fantastic day 😄