Sunday, April 17, 2011

Review ~ The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie by Jennifer Ashley

TITLE: The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie
AUTHOR: Jennifer Ashley
COPYRIGHT: 2009
TYPE: historical romance
PAGES: 320
SERIES: Yes the first one in the Highland Pleasures series

REASON FOR READING: It’s been on the TBR shelf forever and had excellent reviews. I finally decided I had to know what it was about.

SUMMARY (from Goodreads):
The year is 1881. Meet the Mackenzie family--rich, powerful, dangerous, eccentric. A lady couldn't be seen with them without ruin. Rumors surround them--of tragic violence, of their mistresses, of their dark appetites, of scandals that set England and Scotland abuzz.


The youngest brother, Ian, known as the Mad Mackenzie, spent most of his young life in an asylum, and everyone agrees he is decidedly odd. He's also hard and handsome and has a penchant for Ming pottery and beautiful women.


Beth Ackerley, widow, has recently come into a fortune. She has decided that she wants no more drama in her life. She was raised in drama--an alcoholic father who drove them into the workhouse, a frail mother she had to nurse until her death, a fussy old lady she became constant companion to. No, she wants to take her money and find peace, to travel, to learn art, to sit back and fondly remember her brief but happy marriage to her late husband.


And then Ian Mackenzie decides he wants her.

THOUGHTS/OPINION:
Okay first and foremost I love a hero with a disability. It can be he’s blind, stupid, limp, or just bitter I love it. And Ian has one I personally thought it was a form of autism (the highest functioning form) but I’ve heard other theories. No matter what it is he had a hard life from a child on. I also love a spirited female who is okay with what she has and doesn’t need more and Beth is that woman. These two characters are explosive from page one and interesting. They made me laugh, they made me sad, they may me happy and they made me laugh. Throw in all the brothers and their S.O’s and I was hooked.

The mystery was there enough that I could figure it out but couldn’t. I loved all the twist and turns of Ian’s life and what happened to him. I enjoyed learning about Beth and her life and even when she did some stupid things I actually excused it b/c hey it’s Beth and she was doing it for Ian.

This book has mystery, love, action, and well meddling brothers. It also has ming bowls from China which will make since when you read the book and it has history. All in all I didn’t find much that I didn’t like the only quip I have is the dreaded baby issue that ALWAYS occurs and well annoys the crap out of me. That being said I can’t wait to read the next one!

Are you keeping it or passing it on? For sure keeping it

Would you recommend this book? Yes I highly recommend this book for anyone who enjoys historical romance


Don't be alarmed there is a new cover. I Personally prefer the old but what can you do?

Challenges:
Out do yourself challenge
TBR challenge

Reviewing Next:
The Survivors by Amanda Harvard

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping in I appreciate you taking the time to leave some feedback! Hope you have a fantastic day 😄