Friday, August 10, 2018

Review ~ The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton


Title: The Outsiders
By: S.E. Hinton
Published Date: 1988
Page: 192



Summary: The Outsiders is about two weeks in the life of a 14-year-old boy. The novel tells the story of Ponyboy Curtis and his struggles with right and wrong in a society in which he believes that he is an outsider. According to Ponyboy, there are two kinds of people in the world: greasers and socs. A soc (short for "social") has money, can get away with just about anything, and has an attitude longer than a limousine. A greaser, on the other hand, always lives on the outside and needs to watch his back. Ponyboy is a greaser, and he's always been proud of it, even willing to rumble against a gang of socs for the sake of his fellow greasers--until one terrible night when his friend Johnny kills a soc. The murder gets under Ponyboy's skin, causing his bifurcated world to crumble and teaching him that pain feels the same whether a soc or a greaser.

Thoughts:
This book was suggested to me by a co-worker and I have to say I was completely shocked by it. At first, I was certain this was going to be a quick not shrug off read but, then I started reading and BOOM I just couldn’t stop. This book made me cry, laugh, and then cry again. I was blown away by this book and I was absolutely shocked by this book. Apparently, a lot of people read this in high school and I have to say it would have been an appropriate time to read it. This is for sure a book about finding yourself and being okay with who you are and where you come from. It is a story about coming into your own and learning how to either be okay where you come from or learn how to work yourself out of it. Ponyboy has a hard life and had one coming up in his part of town. The thing I like about this story is it shows no matter what part of town you come from everyone has it hard and man this shows that. I was very happy that this book was suggested to me and I read it in one setting. This book hits you and just keeps on hitting until the end. I really liked it and will suggest it to others!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping in I appreciate you taking the time to leave some feedback! Hope you have a fantastic day 😄