Monday, February 6, 2017

Review ~ The Heiress of Linn Hagh by Karen Charlton

Title: The Heiress of Linn Hagh
Author: Karen CHarlton
Copyright: 2015
Pages: 270
Genre: Mystery/Thriller
Series: Yes the Detective Lavender Mysteries)

Reason for Reading:
I have the unlimited kindle it was offered and it said it would be similar to Sherlock Holmes so I thought to myself who doesn't like a good mystery?

Summary:
Northumberland, 1809: A beautiful young heiress disappears from her locked bedchamber at Linn Hagh.
The local constables are baffled and the townsfolk cry ‘witchcraft’.
The heiress’s uncle summons help from Detective Lavender and his assistant, Constable Woods, who face one of their most challenging cases: The servants and local gypsies aren’t talking; Helen’s siblings are uncooperative; and the sullen local farmers are about to take the law into their own hands.
Lavender and Woods find themselves trapped in the middle of a simmering feud as they uncover a world of family secrets, intrigue and deception in their search for the missing heiress.
Taut, wry and delightful, The Heiress of Linn Hagh is a rollicking tale featuring Lavender and Woods—a double act worthy of Holmes and Watson.

Thoughts;
It was a decent enough mystery that kept me entertained until the end. I did wonder how the gal escaped from her room, who she was with, was she dead and all that which is what it is suppose to do until the end. I was entertained and wanted to keep reading. Lavender reminded me of Sherlock but only to a point he is more personal, but I do feel as if the writer was trying almost to hard to make that stick. She kept pointing out how he was so analytical and so serious and so anti-human. Yet everything he did showed the opposed. The "love" story aspect with the Spanish woman could have been completely left out and I would have been 100% happier I didn't want to be wooed in this book. So I didn't need the female to keep me entertained. Or Lavenders constant sexual thoughts of her which was too distracting for someone who prides himself on "never letting emotions get in the way". That being said she wasn't in the whole book and Lavender did pull himself together to get the job done (total Hamilton moment there if anyone else sang that from Immigrants we get the job done song we are now BFF's... any who moving on). The book was a quick, easy read not bloody or gore filled and something I would even suggest to my 60+ mother which is something. I will for sure continue with the series.

Grade: 3 out of 5 stars on goodreads

Would I recommend: yep if you are looking for a historical mystery this is a good one to start with

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping in I appreciate you taking the time to leave some feedback! Hope you have a fantastic day 😄