Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Review ~ Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

TITLE: Uglies
AUTHOR: Scott Westerfeld
COPYRIGHT: 2005
TYPE: young adult
PAGES: 425
SERIES:  yes
1. Uglies
2. Pretties
3. Specials
4. Extras

REASON FOR READ:
The premise sounded good wanted to see if it was as good as it sounded

SUMMARY (from Goodreads):
Tally is about to turn sixteen, and she can't wait. Not for her license - for turning pretty. In Tally's world, your sixteenth birthday brings an operation that turns you from a repellent ugly into a stunningly attractive pretty and catapults you into a high-tech paradise where your only job is to have a really great time. In just a few weeks Tally will be there.

But Tally's new friend Shay isn't sure she wants to be pretty. She'd rather risk life on the outside. When Shay runs away, Tally learns about a whole new side of the pretty world and it isn't very pretty. The authorities offer Tally the worst choice she can imagine: find her friend and turn her in, or never turn pretty at all.

The choice Tally makes changes her world forever...
 

THOUGHTS/OPINION:
 I was surprised by this book. At times I really, really enjoyed it and at other times I found I was absolutely done with it. I wished there were specific examples when I could show you I was done but I can't find them because it changed so fast. I was annoyed with Tally when she wanted to be pretty so bad she betrayed Shay but then she didn't betray her, but then she did but then she didn't. I was annoyed with no one finding it suspicious that Tally made it to the camp on her own. Yet I thought it was awesome that Tally came into her own at the camp. It annoyed me that Tally didn't think that destroying the locket would do more damage then again I probably wouldn't have thought that either. I liked that she escaped only to plan a rescued yet was annoyed that she just continued to lie and lie and lie and lie and then wonder why no one would want to rescue her. So I was torn throughout the reading of this book. The plot itself was interesting. The story idea was fascinating the characters however lacked interest for me. Tally was too immature, Shay was too over the top, David was too flat, Dr. Cable was too evil. IDK I will read on just to see if they rescue Tally and what that will look like but I think instead of buying that book I will just borrow from library. 

THINGS I LIKED
1. That Tally liked the Smoke and began to think of it as home
2. That Tally fought so hard not to be taken in 
3. That the romance wasn't so much an instant love kind of thing for Tally at least

THINGS I DIDN'T LIKE
1. I didn't care for the traitor part to wait until so long to come out to David
2. I was really shocked that Shay was changed to Pretty not going to lie
3. I honestly didn't expect Tally to be changed
4. I was really surprised that Tally became a traitor

Favorite part or line from story: 
The hooverboards just b/c I have always had a thing for those

FINAL GRADE: 3 out of 5 stars

Would you recommend this story? yes I would to a teenager 


Is this a part of a reading challenge?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping in I appreciate you taking the time to leave some feedback! Hope you have a fantastic day 😄