Monday, April 27, 2015

Review ~ The Curse of the Wendigo by Rick Yancey

TITLE: The Curse of the Wendigo 
AUTHOR: Rick Yancey
COPYRIGHT: 2010
TYPE: young adult/ fantasy
PAGES: 444
SERIES:  yes
1. The Monstrumologist 
2. The Curse of the Wendigo

REASON FOR READ:
Read the first one and really enjoyed it wanted to see if the second one would hold up to the test of the first one.

SUMMARY (from Goodreads):
While attempting to disprove that Homo vampiris, the vampire, could exist, Dr. Warthrop is asked by his former fiancé to rescue her husband from the Wendigo, a creature that starves even as it gorges itself on human flesh, and which has snatched him in the Canadian wilderness. Although Warthrop also considers the Wendigo to be fictitious, he relents and rescues her husband from death and starvation, and then sees the man transform into a Wendigo.

Can the doctor and Will Henry hunt down the ultimate predator, who, like the legendary vampire, is neither living nor dead, whose hunger for human flesh is never satisfied?

THOUGHTS/OPINION:
I enjoyed this book but not as much as the first one. Such, I think, is the curse of the second book. This focused more on the making of a monster vs an actual monster. While the first book was all about a real live monster that could or did exist. I found at times I raced through this which means I skimmed places not unusual for me. It was a nice story with an interesting twist and a good moral tale to it. I enjoyed the folk lore that built up and to be quite honest I do like the constant is a vampire real or not debate that is on going throughout and how you could as a reader take either side. The book allows you the reader to participate and decide for yourself which way you will land on the issue. That being said I felt as if the story was almost too long for me and could've been cut shorter at times. I will go head though and pick the next one in the series up just because I do like the style of writing so I can't help but want to read more by this author and series. 

THINGS I LIKED
1. The relationship between Will Henry and Warthrop
2. Learning more about monstrumologist and what they do as well as why they do not exist any more.
3. The style of writing as if this is a diary and Mr. Yancey is trying to find out if anyone knows a Will Henry
4. Learning that Dr. Warthrop had a woman in his life that he loved and in returned loved him and their backstroy which was interesting

THINGS I DIDN'T LIKE (SPOILERS)

 1. I didn't that his ex-fiance died not going to lie. I understand the reasoning behind it however, I am not happy it happened.
2. I do not at most times enjoy how Dr. Warthrop treats Will Henry
3. I did not like the little girl Lily and did not understand why she had to be involved at all with this story line.

Favorite part or line from story:
The favorite parts of the story for me are when the doctor actually shows he cares for Will Henry like keeping him warm, or taking care of him when he is ill from the poison. 

FINAL GRADE: 4 out of 5

Would you recommend this story? It wasn't as good as the first for me. That being said it did have some HOLY CRAP scary moments that I did enjoy and some make you think moments. So yes I would recommend this series. 


Is this a part of a reading challenge?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping in I appreciate you taking the time to leave some feedback! Hope you have a fantastic day 😄