Saturday, December 27, 2014

Review ~ The Jewel by Amy Ewing

TITLE: The Jewel
AUTHOR: Amy Ewing
COPYRIGHT: 2014
TYPE: Young Adult
PAGES: 358
SERIES: yes

REASON FOR READING
The summary looked amazing and I have to admit I was fascinated by the world building!

GOODREADS SUMMARY
The Jewel means wealth. The Jewel means beauty. The Jewel means royalty. But for girls like Violet, the Jewel means servitude. Not just any kind of servitude. Violet, born and raised in the Marsh, has been trained as a surrogate for the royalty—because in the Jewel the only thing more important than opulence is offspring.

Purchased at the surrogacy auction by the Duchess of the Lake and greeted with a slap to the face, Violet (now known only as #197) quickly learns of the brutal truths that lie beneath the Jewel’s glittering facade: the cruelty, backstabbing, and hidden violence that have become the royal way of life.

Violet must accept the ugly realities of her existence... and try to stay alive. But then a forbidden romance erupts between Violet and a handsome gentleman hired as a companion to the Duchess’s petulant niece. Though his presence makes life in the Jewel a bit brighter, the consequences of their illicit relationship will cost them both more than they bargained for.

THOUGHTS/OPINIONS
I have to say this one surprised me for a minute on a few things. 1) I felt the instant love was a bit too much too soon and yet it still felt right and I had nothing snarky to say about it which is new. 2) The wavering between I am going to fight to I have no power to I am in love to giving up my freedom to help my friend usually gets to me and yet for some reason it fit this character. Again I had nothing that made me want to rant or rave about it. I was certain it would annoy me and yet for some reason this time it didn't... 3) I couldn't put it down. Yes it had flaws and yes a lot of questions still remain and yes it had moments when I was like what?!?! and yet for some reason I couldn't put it down. No I didn't connect to any one character that I normally would and no I didn't really have a lot questions or wonder what was going to happen next. It wasn't a thrill ride or gripping plot, but something made me want to keep reading it and I did. I have very little to no complaints about it and while it isn't something that I am going to rush out and purchase (borrowed it from library) I also don't feel as if it was a total waste of my time.

Recommend to a Friend? I would recommend it to a friend that enjoys young adult or to a teenager.
Goodreads Grade: 4 out of 5 stars
Keeping or Passing: Passing (but I will keep my eyes open for the squeal)

Other Reviews by This Author/If you like this you will love:
New to me author however, if you like this author you might enjoy...
Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch
The Blemished by Sarah Dalton

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping in I appreciate you taking the time to leave some feedback! Hope you have a fantastic day 😄