Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Re-read review ~ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets


TITLE: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
AUTHOR: J K Rowlings
COPYRIGHT: 1999
TYPE: Fantasy/Young Adult Fantasy
PAGES: 341
SERIES: yes

1. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
2. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
3. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
4. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
5. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
6. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
7. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

REASON FOR RE-READ: No idea other than I felt the need to dive back into this amazing world.
SUMMARY: {From Goodreads}
Ever since Harry Potter had come home for the summer, the Dursleys were so mean and hideous that all Harry wanted was to get back to the Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry. But just as he's packing his bags, Harry receives a warning from a strange, impish creature named Dobby who says that if Harry Potter returns to Hogwarts, disaster will strike. And strike it does. For in Harry's second year at Hogwarts, fresh torments and horrors arise, including an outrageously stuck-up new professor and a spirit who haunts the girls' bathroom. But then the real trouble begins--someone is turning Hogwarts students to stone. Could it be Draco Malfoy, a more poisonous rival than ever? Could it possibly be Hagrid, whose mysterious past is finally told? Or could it be the one everyone at Hogwarts most suspects...Harry Potter himself!

THOUGHTS/OPINION:During my re-read I realized that I devoured these books way to quickly the first time around. I absolute love this series but once I discovered it I torn through the pages like a mad man looking for a fix. Now I am able to sit back and savor each and every page. I am reminded how much the movies (while the first couple stuck to the basic) are completely different from the books. And honestly the movies just can not give you the fullness or richness of this world. However, that being said without the movies I wouldn't have an idea on how to picture some of the characters.

Things I enjoyed:
I have to admit that this book was my least favorite and I blame the movie for it. I did like the book better than the movie but I hated the movie. Until I realized how important this book was in order to set up the Tom Riddle tie in with Harry's enemy He Who Must Not be Named. Now that I've read the whole series I have to admit I like it better. I did enjoy Dobby's character and how Harry helps him. I enjoyed watching the team getting back together and I seriously still love that Harry is still modest and hasn't let the fame get to him. Of course the way he is treated with the Dursley's helps. I did like that we got to see more of the Wizard world and of course the Weasley's whom I happen to really love.

Things I didn’t care for:
I'm a firm believer that if you are going to tell us what has happened in the first book do it quickly and move on. JK Rowlings however, is not a firm believer in this and while I dislike it I'm sure others don't care. So that's about it.

Are you keeping it or passing it on? I will continue to keep this series who knows in a few years I may go back and re-read them again!
Challenges:
100+ Book
Re-Read

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping in I appreciate you taking the time to leave some feedback! Hope you have a fantastic day 😄