Sunday, January 25, 2015

Review ~ Pretty Crooked by Elisa Ludwig

TITLE: Pretty Crooked
AUTHOR: Elisa Ludwig
COPYRIGHT: 2012
TYPE:  young adult
PAGES: 358
SERIES: 
yes the crooked series

REASON FOR READ:
I actually saw a review for the sequel on another blog and thought it sounded interesting. However, my OCD would not allow me to read it until I read this one.

SUMMARY (from Goodreads):
Willa’s secret plan seems all too simple: take from the rich kids at Valley Prep and give to the poor ones.

Yet Willa’s turn as Robin Hood at her ultra-exclusive high school is anything but. Bilking her “friends”-known to everyone as the Glitterati-without them suspecting a thing, is far from easy. Learning how to pick pockets and break into lockers is as difficult as she’d thought it’d be. Delivering care packages to the scholarship girls, who are ostracized just for being from the “wrong” side of town, is way more fun than she’d expected.

The complication Willa didn’t expect, though, is Aidan Murphy, Valley Prep’s most notorious (and gorgeous) ace-degenerate. His mere existence is distracting Willa from what matters most to her-evening the social playing field between the have and have-nots. There’s no time for crushes and flirting with boys, especially conceited and obnoxious trust-funders like Aidan.

But when the cops start investigating the string of burglaries at Valley Prep and the Glitterati begin to seek revenge, could he wind up being the person that Willa trusts most?

THOUGHTS/OPINION:
Thankfully I didn't have much thoughts or opinions going into this book and because of that I really enjoyed it. I was surprised by the depth and the issues it hit on. It tackles issues of socioeconomic classes and race. It also goes over misconceptions we have of the rich and the poor. It touched on grey areas after all stealing is stealing no matter what the reason is behind it. Surprisingly enough it also goes into consequences on all sides. This books did surprise me and I enjoyed it enough that I will for sure be checking out the next one. 

THINGS I LIKED
I have to admit I liked Willa. At first I was a little iffy I wasn't sure if she would grow on me or not. Thankfully she did.
I enjoyed seeing how it was a race issue as well as a social economic issue b/c I still think that exist no matter how much money you have. 
It had a nice twist at the end and I have to admit I didn't see that one coming which was refreshing. 
The book makes you just curious enough to want to read the next one in the series.  

THINGS I DIDN’T LIKE
 It felt a little name brand droppy which I get I mean you have a poor kid that is robbing from the rich to give to the other poor kids. That being said however, it can and did sort of date the book a little (yes 2012 isn't that old and yet it is). 
I had an issue with the instant like friendship the 3 popular girls had with Willa definitely not believable. 
Also how in the world did she think she was going to get away with it? 

FINAL GRADE: 4 out of 5 stars

Would you recommend this story? Yes actually I thought it was really cute. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping in I appreciate you taking the time to leave some feedback! Hope you have a fantastic day 😄