Monday, January 26, 2015

Blast from the Past ~ Honey I Shrunk the Kids Movie Review


Title: Honey I Shrunk the Kids
Date of release: 1989
Method of Watching: Netflix

Summary:
The scientist father of a teenage girl and boy accidentally shrinks his and two other neighborhood teens to the size of insects. Now the teens must fight diminutive dangers as the father searches for them.

Cast:
Rick Moranis: Wayne Szalinski (Spaceballs and Ghostbusters)
Marcia Strassman: Diane Szalinski
Amy O'Neill: Amy Szalinski (took a long break and then came back in 2008 and nothing since)
Robert Oliveri: Nick Szalinski (hasn't been in anything since 1994)

Matt Frewer: Russ Thompson (TAGERT from EUREKA)
Kirstine Sutherland: Mae Thompson (BUFFY's MOM)
Thomas Wilson Brown: Little Russ Thompson (seems like a lot of small parts in a lot of movies)
Jared Rushton: Ron Thompson (kid in Big) hasn't been in anything since 2000

These were the main characters...

Thoughts:
 I can't believe how much I loved this film when I was little. Seriously I would watch it every time it came on. It was my Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter all wrapped up in one for me. And oh man did I have a crush on Russ LOL.
I have to say looking back on it this film was pretty modern for it's time. The special effects now are laughable but for 1989 they were pretty good. Also the computer is laughable (that was a side note). That being said the movie is still entertaining, still has a good over all story line and I have to say was enjoyable. I rolled my eyes very little and I admit that I even cried when Anty died (seriously was a heart jerking moment for me).
It was a flashback to my younger days and made me appreciate where I got my love of "science fiction" not to mention the dreams I had about this story. After all who didn't think it was cool. Although I did find that as an adult I did ask why would anyone want a shrink ray?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping in I appreciate you taking the time to leave some feedback! Hope you have a fantastic day 😄