Thursday, April 17, 2014

Review ~ The Truth About Alice by Jennifer Mathieu

TITLE: The Truth About Alice
AUTHOR: Jennifer Mathieu
COPYRIGHT: 2014
TYPE: young adult/ Ebook
PAGES: 208
SERIES:  
Doubt it

REASON FOR READ:
Rec’d from Netgalley looked really interesting had to read it!

SUMMARY (from Goodreads):
Everyone has a lot to say about Alice Franklin, and it’s stopped mattering whether it’s true. The rumors started at a party when Alice supposedly had sex with two guys in one night. When school starts everyone almost forgets about Alice until one of those guys, super-popular Brandon, dies in a car wreck that was allegedly all Alice’s fault. Now the only friend she has is a boy who may be the only other person who knows the truth, but is too afraid to admit it. Told from the perspectives of popular girl Elaine, football star Josh, former outcast Kelsie, and shy genius Kurt, we see how everyone has a motive to bring – and keep – Alice down.

THOUGHTS/OPINION:

I am a little mixed on this book. On the one hand I did very much enjoy it which then made me feel guilty for enjoying reading about how 4 freaking people ruined one girl’s life. On the other hand it was fascinating how Ms. Mathieu was able to portray 4 different perspectives on how to destroy one life. I was blown away at how anyone could think or act like this. Then admit to what I deemed to be an interviewer how they know it sounds bad but eh there you go. Worse part of the whole thing I can seriously see this happening in our schools today and the parents are just as guilty as any of the dang teenagers.

THINGS I LIKED:

I enjoyed and yet felt guilty watching how the story unraveled from a rumor to a full on attack of this girl.
I loved learning the truth of the rumor as the story went and to see the insecurities of the people who were helping to spread the rumor.
I absolutely adored that one person saw Alice for who she was and was a true friend to her. And even when she pushed him away she realized it herself.
I loved that he was a true friend that did what he did because he genuinely cared for her and loved her.
I actually appreciate that Alice had the grit to see it through and confront some of the people who started it and kept the flame alive.

THINGS I DIDN'T LIKE:

I also admit it was hard to keep reading 4 to 5 different versions of what was happening, when it was happening, thoughts, ideas, and guilt. Every chapter was a different POV.
None of the POVs were from Alice which might have been interesting to hear her version of what was happening.
I really hated the end ( I won’t spoil it but I expected a different outcome) ½ of me is glad my outcome didn’t occur the other half thought it wrapped up way to easy.

Are you keeping it or passing it on?

Pretty good I will keep it and spread the love by giving it to some teenagers that need to know what the effect of a rumor can do to someone else.
 
Challenges:
New Author Challenge
52 Book challenge


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping in I appreciate you taking the time to leave some feedback! Hope you have a fantastic day 😄