Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Album Review ~ Take Me to the Alley by Gregory Porter


Title: Take Me to the Alley
Artist: Gregory Porter
Genre: Jazz


Released: 2016

Songs: (favorite tracks have a *)
*1. Holding On
2. Don't Lose Your Steam
3. Take Me to the Alley
*4. Day Dream
5. Consequence of Love
6. In Fashion
7. More Than A Woman
8. In Heaven
9. Insanity
10. Don't Be A Fool
11. Fan The Flames
12. French African Queen
13. Holding On (feat. Kem)
14. Insanity (feat. Lalah Hathaway)

Play Time: 1 hour 1 minute
Price: vinyl 23.98, (unlimited on ITunes or Amazon 9.99)

Thoughts on Album:
What I enjoy most about this album is the easy flowing lyrics. For instance in Consequence of Love "I will fight for the right to be your love, no matter what they say, you see, the gain for me is you" Gregory's voice is deep and magically and I have to say hearing him sing is the right amount of heart and soul it makes me think he will fight for the consequences of love. And don't get me started on the horn and piano which just brings home the background. There is no need for vocals with the horn it is powerful and spot on when you expected a background singer to pop in instead we are treated with a horn or piano solo. I just think Gregory has the voice that makes you want to sit down after a long day at work with a glass of wine and relax while listening to his music in the living room on vinyl. He reminds me of old jazz singers that you just chill to. This isn't the hard time jazz this is the relax at home and relax or play in the background while cooking dinner kind of music.

Grade: B
Would I recommend: If  you enjoy jazz and relaxing with a deep voice and occasionally a horn but good piano background this is for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping in I appreciate you taking the time to leave some feedback! Hope you have a fantastic day 😄