Thursday, January 12, 2017

Review ~ The Mermaid's Sister by Carrie Ann Noble

Title: The Mermaid’s Sister Author: Carrie Ann Noble
Copyright: 2015
Type:  Fiction, young adult
Pages: 237
Series:
no
Reason for Reading
mermaid people it had mermaid in the title and I had to read it

Summary:
There is no cure for being who you truly are...

In a cottage high atop Llanfair Mountain, sixteen-year-old Clara lives with her sister, Maren, and guardian Auntie. By day, they gather herbs for Auntie’s healing potions. By night, Auntie spins tales of faraway lands and wicked fairies. Clara’s favorite story tells of three orphan infants—Clara, who was brought to Auntie by a stork; Maren, who arrived in a seashell; and their best friend, O’Neill, who was found beneath an apple tree.

One day, Clara discovers shimmering scales just beneath her sister’s skin. She realizes that Maren is becoming a mermaid—and knows that no mermaid can survive on land. Desperate to save her, Clara and O’Neill place the mermaid-girl in their gypsy wagon and set out for the sea. But no road is straight, and the trio encounters trouble around every bend. Ensnared by an evil troupe of traveling performers, Clara and O’Neill must find a way to save themselves and the ever-weakening mermaid.

And always, in the back of her mind, Clara wonders, if my sister is a mermaid, then what am I?
 

The Problems:
1.      The circus I mean it was good until then where it went wrong for me was the side story of the circus which I basically skipped over
2.      The drawn-out love story of the boi and the sister. He loves my sister so I can’t love him but I love him but I can tell that my sister loves him so I won’t love him but I love him yet I know he must love my sister so this is wrong so I won’t tell him how I feel so I will sit over her and pine over him was a bit too much for me. Thankfully much of this occurred during said circus side story
3.      The whole I’m going to be a bird and when is this going to happen (spoiler rant coming up)
IT NEVER HAPPENED and was never going to happen b/c humans don’t turn into birds but they made her worry about it b/c her sister was a mermaid her adopted parents were fey and boyfriend was born and orphan in an apple tree (WHAT THE ACTUAL HELL) so the whole time she refused to love or fall in love b/c she might turn into a bird so she could feel special was a lie. Why would you even tell her that lie? Just be like sorry kid no one wanted you like the kid with the apple tree but me so here you go?

The Wins:
1.      Lawd for all its faults in the beginning it was a GREAT story it had the all the tale of a good story the love of 2 sisters trying to deal with a difficult situation that one of them was a mermaid. See simple plot if it would have stayed with said simple plot it would have been one of my top 5 for 2016.
2.      The sister’s love for each other was AMAZING and the things that they were willing to do for each other not being blood but still loving each as sister was worth seeing and broke my heart
3.      The daughter of sea angle was awesome and I would love to see more of the story of what the sister in the sea was doing once she became a sister of the sea. How did that work how did they remain sisters did the visit? How would they could one go to the other in the sea?
4.      The love of the 2 fey that would visit every winter was enduring and heartbreaking and I loved their story and wanted more and to see what happened once the curse was broken.

Goodreads Grade: 1 out of 5 stars

Would you recommend this book to others? No I really did not enjoy the book at all and would have DNF it but I wanted to know if the mermaid made it to the sea so I skipped a lot of the chapters and read the final chapter to see what happened.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping in I appreciate you taking the time to leave some feedback! Hope you have a fantastic day 😄