Sunday, September 13, 2015

Review ~ The Maze Runner by James Dashner

TITLE: The Maze Runner  
AUTHOR: James Dashner
COPYRIGHT: 2009
TYPE: young adult
PAGES: 384
SERIES:  
1. The Maze Runner
2. The Scorch Trials
3. The Death Curse

REASON FOR READ:
I saw there was a movie being made, actually take that back the movie had been released on DVD and I wanted to make sure I read the book first before watching the movie.

SUMMARY (from Goodreads):
If you ain’t scared, you ain’t human.

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his name. He’s surrounded by strangers—boys whose memories are also gone.

Nice to meet ya, shank. Welcome to the Glade.

Outside the towering stone walls that surround the Glade is a limitless, ever-changing maze. It’s the only way out—and no one’s ever made it through alive.

Everything is going to change.

Then a girl arrives. The first girl ever. And the message she delivers is terrifying.

Remember. Survive. Run.

THOUGHTS/OPINION:
I was worried when I started reading this that it was going to be another Hunger Games or Lord of the Flies but it quickly surprised me and turned into something much better and more entertaining. I have to say I am happy with the way this book turned out and want to see where they are going to go with it. I am now interested to see where the movie went with it due to how the book portrays certain aspects like the mind talking between Thomas and the girl and how the mazes would look on screen would be amazing. Also I want to see who they cast and if it matches what I have in mind.  

THINGS I LIKED
1. I liked that it was as confusing for me the reader as it was for Thomas so it helped us to figure things out together. The parts of the story that were told to us didn't annoy me as much b/c I came in blind and so did the main character. 
2. The world that the boys had to learn how to deal with, how to farm, slaughter, and build laws was very interesting. I liked how they had a society and they made it work for them. It was very impressive instead of Lord of the Flies we got a civilized society with laws and rules. 
3. We got to see what happens when you break the rules and that there were severe punishment for those who lived outside the law of the land. It was also good to see why the kids were so scared and that they would defend their territory and each other if they had to when the enemy came. 


THINGS I DIDN’T LIKE
 1. I understand that we are meant to believe that these boys are in a different world and all have lost their memories but why if they can call speak English and remember words did the feel the need to make up words to cover up their cussing? If there is no adults to punish them why did we the readers have to suffer with shank, and shuck that, and shuck face. Just let them cuss. 
2. Also the story felt rushed at times and too slow at others. I found myself flipping pages to find action during the slow parts and then wondering why the other parts of the story felt like they flew by. Definitely could tell it was a first novel. 
3. Why did it not bother Thomas as much as it did the others. This still confuses me I still think that it should have bothered him more. He handled things way too well and the other boys were way too trusting of him off the bat.

Favorite part or line from story: I liked when they spent the night in the maze b/c Thomas just had to save the guy. So it proved to the others he was brave but it also proved to himself that he he wasn't 
  
FINAL GRADE: I ended up giving this 4 out of 5 stars but bought the second book to read on my train ride to Chicago

Would you recommend this story?
Yes I actually really enjoyed it once I got pass all the made up language and confusion. 


Is this a part of a reading challenge?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping in I appreciate you taking the time to leave some feedback! Hope you have a fantastic day 😄