Monday, November 6, 2017

Review ~ Faithful Place by Tana French

Title: Faithful Place
Author: Tana French
Genre: mystery/suspense
Publish Date: 7/2010
Pages: 400
Series:
1) Into the Woods
2) The Likeness
3) Faithful Place

Reason for reading:
I heard on a podcast that I just needed to read this author because she was so amazing

Summary:
Back in 1985, Frank Mackey was a nineteen year old kid with a dream of escaping his family's cramped flat on Faithful Place and running away to London with his girl, Rosie Daly. But on the night they were supposed to leave, Rosie didn't show. Frank took it for granted that she'd dumped him - probably because of his alcoholic father, nutcase mother, and generally dysfunctional family. He never went home again. Neither did Rosie. Then, twenty-two years later, Rosie's suitcase shows up behind a fireplace in a derelict house on Faithful Place, and Frank, now a detective in the Dublin Undercover squad, is going home whether he likes it or not. 

Getting sucked in is a lot easier than getting out again. Frank finds himself straight back in the dark tangle of relationships he left behind. The cops working the case want him out of the way, in case loyalty to his family and community makes him a liability. Faithful Place wants him out because he's a detective now, and the Place has never liked cops. Frank just wants to find out what happened to Rosie Daly - and he's willing to do whatever it takes, to himself or anyone else, to get the job done.


Thoughts
I have to say this was a recommendation from a podcast I listen to called Read or Dead  these two ladies went on for about 20 minutes or longer about how amazing Tana French was. After that I thought I have to read this author immediately. Low and behold when I was at the library I saw a copy of the Faithful Place and even tough it was the 3rd in the series I figured I would give it a try. Mainly because each book is about a different detective in the series some in the murder pool some in undercover. This book dealt with Frank Mackey from the undercover unit. The unique thing about this book is the fact it takes place in Ireland and while at times you can tell I have to say for the most part you couldn't and I enjoyed that. 
Also while I figured out the mystery it didn't stop me from turning the pages and turning the pages until I got to the end to make sure that a) I was right and b) that I knew everything that happened. 
I have to say I love Frank. I can see how some people didn't enjoy his story he is a hard egg to enjoy but I LOVE his story I loved learning about his back story, his family, his history, but I also loved learning about his here and now. I loved his daughter, his ex-wife, his relationships since. This story was beautifully written and I wasn't shocked at the ending I was fully engaged and enjoyed the twist and turns. So much so I have picked up Broken Harbor which is the 4th in the series and I have put all her books on my hold list at the library. 

Grade 5 out of 5 stars
Would I recommend this book: UM yes I actually already have to 2 people!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping in I appreciate you taking the time to leave some feedback! Hope you have a fantastic day 😄