Thursday, April 28, 2011

Review ~ The Survivors by Amanda Harvard

TITLE: The Survivors
AUTHOR: Amanda Harvard
COPYRIGHT: 3/29/11
TYPE: Urban Fantasy
PAGES: 283
SERIES: Yes book 1

REASON FOR READING: Look really good and I was itching to buy something with my kindle

SUMMARY (from Goodreads):
In 1692, when witch trials gripped the community of Salem, Massachusetts, twenty-six children were accused as witches, exiled, and left for dead. Fourteen of them survived.
The Survivors is the first installment of the tantalizing tales of the fourteen ill-fated Survivors and their descendants, who have been content in hiding for over three centuries. Isolated on a Montana mountainside, only Sadie, the rogue daughter, dares to abandon the family's sacred hiding place. But no matter how far Sadie runs, something always pulls her back.
On a muggy summer night in Tennessee, she witnesses a shocking scene that will change her life forever. It is the first in a sequence of events that will drag her from the human world she's sought to belong to for over a century and send her back to her Puritanical family and into an uncertain future filled with cunning witches, mysterious nosferatu shape-shifters, dangerous eretica and vieczy vampires, millennia-old mythology, and the search for her own mortality. After all...
HOW DO YOU KILL A SURVIVOR?
The Survivors will steal your heart and invade your mind. Fall into the pages of Sadie's life, a world so frighteningly similar to your own, you'll find yourself wanting to go to the Montana mountains to find the Survivors for yourself.
And it is only the beginning

THOUGHTS/OPINION:
The book was slow and confusing at parts then at other parts it was information overload HOLY CRAP. There were times I was flipping back through the pages hoping I could remember where that quote was and MY GOD at the end I was so lost and yet so interested I basically had to re-read half the story all over again. But, that is a good thing b/c usually when a book is slow I lose interest. This book however, had it all love, mythology, magic, action, mystery, and travel. Who could ask for more?

THINGS I LIKED:
- I enjoyed the overall story line I thought it was very interesting and the characters kept me interested enough to continue reading. I wanted to know who the Winters were I wanted to know how you could kill a Survivor.
- I loved the love story and how sweet they were:
Ex: He didn’t say much, but he held me closer and closer as he made his way up one arm and down the other until he had kissed every single scar. It was the most intimate experience I had ever had. I was so vulnerable like that, my secrets exposed. But he didn’t pull away in fear, and he hadn’t been repulsed. Instead he took great care to show me how these scars hut him too, and how he cared for me –scars and all.
I seriously fell in love with him all over b/c wow what a great moment.
-I loved that the hero and heroine had never had sex before and were very modest they didn’t want to unless it was with a special person. And can I say in fact they did not have sex in this story and I was happy to be able to read something with SEX being the main point. It was refreshing for once!

THINGS I DIDN'T LIKE:
There were so many different mythological creatures I had a hard time keeping everything straight on what was important to the story and what I could forget.

- I seriously got sick of all the name brand crap the author used. I get it they have money and they wear expensive crap I don’t care. It was like reading JR Ward again without the gangsta talk
Ex: He looked like he was pulled straight from the pages of editorial ads in Vogue – Ralph Lauren Black Label, maybe Prada, or even some of the more subdued Dolce and Gabbana. His jeans were nice and dark but worn in – Dolce, I was pretty sure – and fitted. And he had on a crisp white Dior dress shirt. He’d removed his chocolate velvet sport coat – I recognized it from Ferragmo’s fall catalogue from the year I came to Nashville…
I DON’T CARE get over it.


Are you keeping it or passing it on? Right now I’m holding on to it and I will purchase the next one which will determine if I keep this one or not.

Would you recommend this book? Yes it had some flaws but all in all it was an engaging story.

Favorite Quotes: The quote with the scars my gosh that was beautiful.




Challenges:
Out Do Yourself Challenge
Ebook Challenge

Reviewing Next:
The Discovery of Socket Grenny by Tony Bertauski

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping in I appreciate you taking the time to leave some feedback! Hope you have a fantastic day 😄