Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Review ~ The Lost Duke of Wyndham by Julia Quinn


TITLE: The Lost Duke of Wyndham
AUTHOR: Julia Quinn
COPYRIGHT: 2008
TYPE: Historical Romance
PAGES; 371
SERIES: Yeah first in a 2 book series

REASON FOR READING: Was in the TBR pile and I needed a historical for a challenge

SUMMARY: {From Goodreads}
Jack Audley has been a highwayman.
A soldier. And he has always been a rogue. What he is not, and never wanted to be, is a peer of the realm, responsible for an ancient heritage and the livelihood of hundreds. But when he is recognized as the long-lost son of the House of Wyndham, his carefree life is over. And if his birth proves to be legitimate, then he will find himself with the one title he never wanted: Duke of Wyndham.
Grace Eversleigh has spent the last five years toiling as the companion to the dowager Duchess of Wyndham. It is a thankless job, with very little break from the routine . . . until Jack Audley lands in her life, all rakish smiles and debonair charm. He is not a man who takes no for an answer, and when she is in his arms, she's not a woman who wants to say no. But if he is the true duke, then he is the one man she can never have . . .


THOUGHTS/OPINION:
I have to admit this book was less fluff then I actually thought it would be. For some reason these two characters were very interesting to read and I enjoyed watching their romance come to fruitation. I didn't like the grandmother but that was something that no one was suppose to like. Plus Ms. Quinn did an excellent job at setting up the 2nd book so that you want to know what happens to the other man and woman that were introduced LOL.
Things I enjoyed:
Again I really liked Jack I thought he was a well rounded character that had both a serious side and fun side. I also really liked that once he made up his mind about Grace (which by the way didn't take very long unlike some heroes) he didn't change it and he didn't let her talk him out of it. Once he knew she was the one nothing she said would change his mind.
I also liked Grace which was different for me. She knew her place and while she dreamed of love she didn't wish to step above she wasn't out to make better for herself.

Things I didn't care for:
To be honest and I know a lot of people here are not going to like this but I didn't like the "extra" secret Jack had and hid until the very end. I didn't understand how that really mattered to much in the story and it really felt like a filler. I did like he had a fault but this just seemed pointless.
Also I'm not a fan of the Epilogue (sp?) I don't care for them never had and really it kind of irks me to have that in the first book of a series b/c even though you know where the second book will end up and no it didn't give anything away I still felt like it was again pointless.

Are you keeping it or passing it on? I am actually going to pass on it. While I thought it was a quick fun read it isn't going to be one I would re-read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping in I appreciate you taking the time to leave some feedback! Hope you have a fantastic day 😄