Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Review ~ Shades of Dark by Linnea Sinclair


TITLE: Shades of Dark
AUTHOR: Linnea Sinclair
COPYRIGHT: 2008
TYPE: sci/fi romance
PAGES: 392 (in ebook format)
SERIES: Yes 2nd one in the series first was Gabriel Ghost

REASON FOR READING: I loved GG and couldn’t wait to see where Ms. Sinclair took the main characters

SUMMARY: [from Goodreads ]
Before her court-martial, Captain Chasidah “Chaz” Bergren was the pride of the Sixth Fleet. Now she’s a fugitive from the “justice” of a corrupt Empire. Along with her lover, the former monk, mercenary, and telepath Gabriel Ross Sullivan, Chaz hoped to leave the past light-years behind—until the news of her brother Thad’s arrest and upcoming execution for treason. It’s a ploy by Sully’s cousin Hayden Burke to force them out of hiding and it works. With a killer targeting human females and a renegade gen lab breeding jukor war machines, Chaz and Sully already had their hands full of treachery, betrayal—not to mention each other. Throw in Chaz’s Imperial ex-husband, Admiral Philip Guthrie, and a Kyi-Ragkiril mentor out to seduce Sully and not just loyalties but lives are at stake. For when Sully makes a fateful choice changing their relationship forever, Chaz must also choose—between what duty demands and what her heart tells her she must do.

THOUGHTS/OPINION:

Alright this book has action, romance, hawt menz, suspense, and of course a dozen or so plots that all come together at the end. (I mention this b/c I was really worried as we got close to the end on how she was going to wrap this up)
This book is the second in a series however, I don’t believe you need to read the first in order to understand what is going on but it would help. Reading the first would help to understand how the characters work together and even got together. This is a fairly complicated book in the sense of all the different subplots and different storylines going on.

Things I enjoyed: I really liked being able to see Sully and Chaz’s relationship as it grew. There were times when I worried they wouldn’t make it and other times when I knew they would struggle through it. The relationship that Ms. Sinclair has set up is priceless. She shows how hard it is to work in a relationship and a relationship is just that work. She doesn’t make it easy on these two and for that their relationship really grows. Ms. Sinclair had me laughing, crying, shaking in anger, and really hoping that these two would end up together. She is a powerful writer when it comes to this aspect.

Also her world building is to die for. I could perfectly see what a Kyi killer was. She gives just enough description to make you understand what the weapon or for that matter the ship should look like. But not so much description you can’t add in your own thoughts.

Things I didn’t care for: Ms. Sinclair was really bad about having us in Chaz’s head but then making sure that Chaz told us everything we might not have remembered from reading the first. It was annoying b/c I know when I am thinking of Kyi in my head I am not giving a full on description of what I know about them. Then turning around and explaining “to myself” how I know this information. I just felt like everytime she did this I was pulled out of the book.

Would I recommend this book? Yes I would highly recommend both this one and the first

Was the author new to you and would you read something by this author again? Nope the author wasn't new to me. I have read a couple of this author’s works and enjoyed everyone.

Are you keeping it or passing it on? Keeping

Anything else? I think if you are going to read this you should also look into reading GG you won’t regret either choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping in I appreciate you taking the time to leave some feedback! Hope you have a fantastic day 😄