Sunday, January 26, 2020

Library Haul ~ #3


This week at the library I got...




Title: How to Be An Antiracist

Author: Ibram X. Kendi
Challenges: Library Love, New Author, Personal Reading Challenge. 

Summary: 

Ibram X. Kendi's concept of antiracism reenergizes and reshapes the conversation about racial justice in America--but even more fundamentally, points us toward liberating new ways of thinking about ourselves and each other. In How to be an Antiracist, Kendi asks us to think about what an antiracist society might look like, and how we can play an active role in building it.

In this book, Kendi weaves together an electrifying combination of ethics, history, law, and science, bringing it all together with an engaging personal narrative of his own awakening to antiracism. How to Be an Antiracist is an essential work for anyone who wants to go beyond an awareness of racism to the next step: contributing to the formation of a truly just and equitable society.


Reasoning

This was on top reads from goodreads I want to say last year and I have to say I am very curious about it to see what it does in fact say. I am always looking for books that make me think.

Haul not from library but from Kindle unlimited


So I also got a 3 month free membership to Kindle unlimited with my new paper white kindle so I wanted to see what was offered. These are the picks I chose. 


Title: Last Train to Istanbul
Author: Ayse Kulin
Challenges: Again Kindle Unlimited is like a library to me so I am going to unofficially put this in the Library Loot challenge, new author, personal reading challenge, and ebook

Goodread Summary: 
International bestseller by one of Turkey’s most beloved authors...

As the daughter of one of Turkey’s last Ottoman pashas, Selva could win the heart of any man in Ankara. Yet the spirited young beauty only has eyes for Rafael Alfandari, the handsome Jewish son of an esteemed court physician. In defiance of their families, they marry, fleeing to Paris to build a new life.

But when the Nazis invade France and begin rounding up Jews, the exiled lovers will learn that nothing—not war, not politics, not even religion—can break the bonds of family. For after they learn that Selva is but one of their fellow citizens trapped in France, a handful of brave Turkish diplomats hatch a plan to spirit the Alfandaris and hundreds of innocents, many of whom are Jewish, to safety. Together, they must traverse a war-torn continent, crossing enemy lines and risking everything in a desperate bid for freedom. From Ankara to Paris, Cairo, and Berlin, Last Train to Istanbul is an uplifting tale of love and adventure.
 


Reasoning: 
I mean I love me some foreign travel and I have always wanted to go to Istanbul. I have a trip to Morrocco scheduled for this fall and I thought this would be a fun read to get me in the mood. 

I also got

Title: The Butterfly Garden
Author: Dot Hutchinson
Challenges: I think Kindle Unlimited is a library version you pay for so I am counting this as a Library Loot unofficially, Cloak and Dagger, new author, ebook, personal reading challenge

Summary from Goodreads: 
Near an isolated mansion lies a beautiful garden.

In this garden grow luscious flowers, shady trees…and a collection of precious “butterflies”—young women who have been kidnapped and intricately tattooed to resemble their namesakes. Overseeing it all is the Gardener, a brutal, twisted man obsessed with capturing and preserving his lovely specimens.

When the garden is discovered, a survivor is brought in for questioning. FBI agents Victor Hanoverian and Brandon Eddison are tasked with piecing together one of the most stomach-churning cases of their careers. But the girl, known only as Maya, proves to be a puzzle herself.

As her story twists and turns, slowly shedding light on life in the Butterfly Garden, Maya reveals old grudges, new saviors, and horrific tales of a man who’d go to any length to hold beauty captive. But the more she shares, the more the agents have to wonder what she’s still hiding...


Reasoning:
I have been eyeing this one forever and tried to debate about getting it as an actual purchase so when I saw that I could get it on Kindle reads I jumped at the opportunity. 

Did you pick up anything good this week? 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping in I appreciate you taking the time to leave some feedback! Hope you have a fantastic day 😄