Thursday, September 6, 2018

Review ~ The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury


Title: The Illustrated Man
Author: Ray Bradbury
Pages: 281
Published: 2012

Summary:
The Illustrated Man, a seminal work in Ray Bradbury’s career, whose extraordinary power and imagination remain undimmed by time’s passage, is available from Simon & Schuster for the first time. A peerless American storyteller, Ray Bradbury brings wonders alive. In these eighteen startling visions of humankind’s destiny, unfolding across a canvas of decorated skin, living cities take their vengeance, technology awakens the most primal natural instincts, and dreams are carried aloft in junkyard rockets. Provocative and powerful, The Illustrated Man is a kaleidoscopic blending of magic, imagination, and truth—as exhilarating as interplanetary travel, as maddening as a walk in a million-year rain, and as comforting as simple, familiar rituals on the last night of the world.

Thoughts
This is an interesting concept and one that of my first Ray Bradbury books that I stumbled across (thank you Criminal Minds) the whole idea behind tattoos that come to life and tell the a story is fantastic. Then add to that story that this book has at least 12 different stories within a story and SOLD. Each of the stories within this book are unique and interesting. There was one about if the "blacks of the south" had all moved to Mars and now a white man came to visit them what would happen. There was one about the final thoughts of a space crew whose ship is broken apart and they are floating through space and what would be going through your mind. The story that takes place on Venus was amazing and how the rain drove them to madness. Needless to say the sheer number of stories that are wrapped within the one massive story is brilliant and each story made me think, made me want to put myself in that story. I loved each one and few were not as favorite as the others. I wanted to meet the tattoo man and then the ending WOW just pure genius I have to say I didn't see that coming and I love the idea behind the book. It has made me want to read everything that Ray Bradbury has put out. Then I realized this is the same author of Fahrenheit 451 and my mind was blown even further. I am now slowly making my way through his whole book list because this was a genius book and I am in amazement of this storytelling genius. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping in I appreciate you taking the time to leave some feedback! Hope you have a fantastic day 😄