Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Book Review ~ The Dry by Jane Harper

Title: The Dry
Author: Jane Harper
Published: 2016
Challenges: new author, cloak and dagger, personal reading challenge, library love

Goodreads Summary: 
A small town hides big secrets in this atmospheric, page-turning debut mystery by award-winning author Jane Harper.
In the grip of the worst drought in a century, the farming community of Kiewarra is facing life and death choices daily when three members of a local family are found brutally slain.
Federal Police investigator Aaron Falk reluctantly returns to his hometown for the funeral of his childhood friend, loath to face the townsfolk who turned their backs on him twenty years earlier.
But as questions mount, Falk is forced to probe deeper into the deaths of the Hadler family. Because Falk and Luke Hadler shared a secret. A secret Falk thought was long buried. A secret Luke's death now threatens to bring to the surface in this small Australian town, as old wounds bleed into new ones
My Thoughts: 
this book felt like it took forever to read. That' not to say it was bad it just felt like I really needed to sit down and focus on it. I am not sure if my interest was there 100% to be honest. It has the typical backstory of the main character interweave into a new mystery. This time though we solved both of them so that was refreshing.  The main character was a little standoffish for me but by the middle of the book I came around. I am curious how this is a series since the main character deals with money crimes normally this was a one off for him solving his best friend's murder. I did enjoy the characters and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the who did the actual crime. I think that this has potential as a series to go someplace. I think at this time I will leave it with this book and if I am looking and can't find anything I will look for the second in the series. I really did enjoy the way the outback was described and how the farmers were dealing with the drought. I would recommend it mainly for the way the author describes scenes and yet doesn't make you feel like you are drowning in description. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping in I appreciate you taking the time to leave some feedback! Hope you have a fantastic day 😄