Friday, August 19, 2016

The Graveyard Queen Series Review by Amanda Stevens

Holy crap on a cracker it's been a minute since I've a)read and b)did a review so let's do some quick reviews.
1 thing to keep in mind is this will be a quick review because I've read the Graveyard Series before up to the 4th book so these would be re-read books so I won't do in depth reviews on them. But you need to know it is hands down a GREAT series and the sole reason I read them was to prep for the 5th book coming out in September so keep that mind.

Let's do it.

Book 1 - The Restorer

My name is Amelia Gray. I’m a cemetery restorer who sees ghosts. In order to protect myself from the parasitic nature of the dead, I’ve always held fast to the rules passed down from my father. But now a haunted police detective has entered my world and everything is changing, including the rules that have always kept me safe. 

It started with the discovery of a young woman’s brutalized body in an old Charleston graveyard I’ve been hired to restore. The clues to the killer—and to his other victims— lie in the headstone symbolism that only I can interpret. Devlin needs my help, but his ghosts shadow his every move, feeding off his warmth, sustaining their presence with his energy. To warn him would be to invite them into my life. I’ve vowed to keep my distance, but the pull of his magnetism grows ever stronger even as the symbols lead me closer to the killer and to the gossamer veil that separates this world from the next

SUMMARY
Okay this book still gives me the willies if you will. I am still taken back by the beautiful writing, the description and the details. My goodness there were serious times I stopped reading because I was like crap I think I see ghost now. (PS I don't thank God) I also don't recommend reading this book alone. The suspense and the who did it and who is doing it was great. The ending was a great twist and exactly what I wanted to read when seeing the summary. I have to say this is by far my favorite book in the series. It has mystery, ghosts, a love story, ghost, murder, ghost and holy shit suspense that makes my heart race reading it two or three times (I maybe 4 times through) and I still forget who did it because I get so wrapped up in the story. For sure pick this one up 




BOOK 2 - The Kingdom




Deep in the shadowy foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains lies a dying town.

My name is Amelia Gray. They call me The Graveyard Queen. I've been commissioned to restore an old cemetery in Asher Falls, South Carolina, but I'm coming to think I have another purpose here.

Why is there a cemetery at the bottom of Bell Lake? Why am I drawn time and again to a hidden grave I've discovered in the woods? Something is eating away at the soul of this town, this withering kingdom, and it will only be restored if I can uncover the truth.

SUMMARY
I have to say this one threw me again even with a re-read. While it was nice to find out more about Amelia and her connection to Asher Falls and what that means and how in the world it all ties in and what it might be like to have others like her besides her dad it was just an odd book. The story itself was interesting to a point. I was happy she was trying to move on from  John and I thought for a brief moment we might have a triangle which would have been nice to a point and I have to say that I liked the guy in this one more then John beside the fact he didn't have ghost he just seemed nicer. The whole story itself seemed weird and off. The witches, and demon aspect was different then ghost so now we have raised the stakes from just a ghost story to demons and I'm still not sure what any of this has to do with anything. That being said once again you can't help but fall in love with Amelia and her fighting and growing capabilities. She picks up a dog and fights her way through anything else that would have sent most of us running for home. In fact when reading this I found myself saying JUST GO HOME but alas our Amelia didn't and because she didn't she found out her heritage which was interesting but nothing shocking and or major. Still worth the read and one you have to read in order to understand the next one. Also it does have a good "story" to it and like I said it does help us to understand some thing about Amelia and her upbringing. 



BOOK 3 - The Prophet 



My name is Amelia Gray.

I am the Graveyard Queen, a cemetery restorer who sees ghosts. My father passed down four rules to keep me safe and I've broken every last one. A door has opened and evil wants me back.

In order to protect myself, I've vowed to return to those rules. But the ghost of a murdered cop needs my help to find his killer. The clues lead me to the dark side of Charleston—where witchcraft, root doctors and black magic still flourish—and back to John Devlin, a haunted police detective I should only love from afar.Now I'm faced with a terrible choice: follow the rules or follow my heart.
 


SUMMARY
The summary above is misleading. Yes she can decide to follow John or not but this one doesn't focus on love so much as it does on the fact that a ghost is actually haunting Amelia which has nothing to do with John other then he may or maynot have been the person who killed the cop who is haunting her. Turns out this is the ghost from the first book. So I liked the tie in. I also liked how we are back to a ghost story with a twist of voodoo and how that affects Amelia and her powers. Again we are back with John and his ghost and how that will affect Amelia and if she will allow the "LOVE OF HER LIFE AND THE ONLY ONE SHE CAN EVER IMAGE IN HER LIFE JUST BECAUSE OF THE STATIC BETWEEN THEM" nothing else mind you I mean in order to find out anything about him she has to ask his ghost or google it. So don't mind me if you are Devlin fans I am starting to wear thin with this relationship because of him and her. And I can't stand when a relationship goes this long with back and forth and no closure so if you are thinking there is some here think again. 
Back to the story this time we learn a little about Amelia's power and what she can do which is pretty awesome but we also learn about John's past and what that means for Amelia and her future with him. Again the writing is beautiful and something I recommend to anyone who loves just beautiful descriptive writing that makes you feel like you are apart of the story and apart of the action. I do like the pacing I never felt like the story was dragging and to be fair I did feel that the story did wrap up nicely. 

BOOK 4 - The Visitor 


My name is Amelia Gray. I'm the Graveyard Queen.

Restoring lost and abandoned cemeteries is my profession, but I'm starting to believe that my true calling is deciphering the riddles of the dead. Legend has it that Kroll Cemetery is a puzzle no one has ever been able to solve. For over half a century, the answer has remained hidden within the strange headstone inscriptions and intricate engravings. Because uncovering the mystery of that tiny, remote graveyard may come at a terrible price.

Years after their mass death, Ezra Kroll's disciples lie unquiet, their tormented souls trapped within the walls of Kroll Cemetery, waiting to be released by someone strong and clever enough to solve the puzzle. For whatever reason, I'm being summoned to that graveyard by both the living and the dead. Every lead I follow, every clue I unravel brings me closer to an unlikely killer and to a destiny that will threaten my sanity and a future with my love, John Devlin.
 

SUMMARY
I have to say out of all the books I think this was the weakest. While I enjoyed immensely learning about Amelia's background and how she got her talent I felt that after book 2 there was no reason to really go there. I almost feel bad for her "grandmother/mother" she get's nothing from her and at this point it is almost like what's the point of her. This was the grandfather's mother's story and I have to say while again interesting it left it at a point that I hope the next book wraps up because as of now I have way more questions then answers and I am not impressed with those questions. And what the hell is up with Devlin?
Now on to the positive. I love that Amelia is growing stronger in herself and her powers. I hate that she is way too much I LOVE HIM SO MUCH HE IS MY SOUL MATE I CAN'T SURVIVE WITH OUT DEVLIN yet at the same time in this novel it was almost like she is accepting the fact that there maynot be a HEA for her and John and you know what at this point it wouldn't disappoint me and I like that she is growing. The thing that I appreciate about this author is the growth that she gives the characters. They do grow slowly but they grow I don't ever feel like Amelia is just stuck. 
I also enjoy the writing the author has she is a fantastic author she paints such beautiful scenes done in such a way I really feel as if I am in the cemetery with Amelia. I think there were times I could hear the sam thing Amelia could and could feel the tension the characters were going through. That is a true writing talent and one of the many reason I keep coming back to this author. 
The story isn't as intense as it was in the beginning and that's okay because now we know she can see them and they can see her and there are other things out there. I like how it is heading and can't wait to see what book 5 has in store for us in September. 

PS book 5 and 6 are already pre-ordered by this reader and you too can do the same by going here
  and the 6th book is    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping in I appreciate you taking the time to leave some feedback! Hope you have a fantastic day 😄