Monday, December 15, 2014

Review ~ Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch

TITLE: Snow Like Ashes 
AUTHOR: Sara Raasch
COPYRIGHT: 10/14/2014
TYPE: young adult/Fantasy
PAGES: 422
SERIES:  yes

REASON FOR READ:

Been in the must read pile forever due to the interesting plot and story line was very curious about this one.

SUMMARY (from Goodreads):
Sixteen years ago the Kingdom of Winter was conquered and its citizens enslaved, leaving them without magic or a monarch. Now, the Winterians’ only hope for freedom is the eight survivors who managed to escape, and who have been waiting for the opportunity to steal back Winter’s magic and rebuild the kingdom ever since.

Orphaned as an infant during Winter’s defeat, Meira has lived her whole life as a refugee, raised by the Winterians’ general, Sir. Training to be a warrior—and desperately in love with her best friend, and future king, Mather — she would do anything to help her kingdom rise to power again.

So when scouts discover the location of the ancient locket that can restore Winter’s magic, Meira decides to go after it herself. Finally, she’s scaling towers, fighting enemy soldiers, and serving her kingdom just as she’s always dreamed she would. But the mission doesn’t go as planned, and Meira soon finds herself thrust into a world of evil magic and dangerous politics – and ultimately comes to realize that her destiny is not, never has been, her own.

THOUGHTS/OPINION:
This book started off really high for me. A traditional fantasy with a young lady as the main character. She was tough, witty and boy did she want to prove herself like something fierce. She appeared capable, strong and willing to do what needed to be done. Sure at first she could come off whinny and trying too hard to prove herself. She had a lot of internal struggle of I want to do the best I can for Winter and yet I want to be me. At first that all was fine with me, but then half way through I was annoyed. GROW UP! I got tired of the constant fighting and wanting to play with the boys. I got tired of the I don't want to be a pawn. Yet I want the best for the people of Winter but only if I set the rules. After awhile the romance with Mather got really old and then we had the dreaded love triangle. Problem is I actually liked the second guy who understood her and wanted to be with her just b/c he wanted to be with her. He was nice, caring, capable and strong, and let's be honest he truly is the only one who tried to help her. He didn't care what she was or who she was he just wanted to help her succeed. And I'm not sure that Mather didn't know the big secret the whole freaking time. 

THE PROBLEMS
The Love triangle didn't work for me then again it never does and I hate them moving on.
I didn't like the "BIG SECRET" come on I figured it out very quickly and when I say I am the last one to know who the killer is I truly am the last one to know. I never catch on to anything this time I did.
The main character got really annoying really quick but then again so did everyone in Winter. 
  
THE WINS
 The plot is interesting and I have to say the world-building was done in a beautiful way. I didn't feel as if a lot was told to me. I like the idea behind seasons being kingdoms and even how the magic worked. 
I think that it will have  good place to spin off from it wasn't a cliffhanger (BONUS hate those as well) and at the same time still left the reader wanting to know more. 

ARE YOU KEEPING IT OR PASSING? It was a library book so no
Goodreads Grade: 3 out of 5 stars
Would you recommend this book to a friend? I think if you like fantasy I would recommend it with the warning about the triangle and "secret" 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping in I appreciate you taking the time to leave some feedback! Hope you have a fantastic day 😄