Monday, November 3, 2014

Author Interview Time: Sarah Bromley


Today we have a lovely and rare treat! We have an author stopping by to promote a fantastic book A Murder of Magpies!! Sarah Bromley has stopped by to give us some inside information about her book and her life!

Here's a little bit about the book:
Title: A Murder of Magpies
Author: Sarah Bromley
Publication dateOctober 28, 2014
Publisher: Month9Books, LLC.

Winter in Black Orchard, Wisconsin, is long and dark, and sixteen-year-old Vayda Silver prays the snow will keep the truth and secrecy of the last two years buried. Hiding from the past with her father and twin brother, Vayda knows the rules: never return to the town of her mother’s murder, and never work a Mind Game where someone might see.

No one can know the toll emotions take on Vayda, how emotion becomes energy in her hands, or how she can’t control the destruction she causes. But it’s not long before her powers can no longer be contained. The truth is dangerously close to being exposed, placing Vayda and her family at risk.
Until someone quiets the chaos inside her.

Unwanted. That’s all Ward Ravenscroft has ever been. To cope, he numbs the pain of rejection by denying himself emotions of any kind. Yet Vayda stirs something in him. He can’t explain the hold she has on him–inspiring him with both hope and fear. He claims not to scare easily, except he doesn’t know what her powers can do. Yet.

Just as Vadya and Ward draw closer, she finds the past isn’t so easily buried. And when it follows the Silvers to Black Orchard, it has murder in mind.



And now onto Sarah! So please help me welcome Ms. Bromley to the site and help me spread the love of A Murder of Magpies! (My personal responses are in italics for your enjoyment)

Tell us about yourself? Where are you from? Do you have any pets? What was your first book?  Those kind of things.

I’m a mom of three young children and a displaced northerner. I grew up in the northern Midwest, but my husband and I came to the St. Louis area right after we were married. I have three dogs—a pug, a chug (Chihuahua/pug), and a puggle—as well as some betta fish and a guinea pig. The first book I ever wrote was a really, really bad issue book back when I was thirteen, but it got the writing bug in me enough that A MURDER OF MAGPIES is my debut novel.

OMG St. Louis is down the street and 4 hours from me that's so cool that you are so close! Congrats on A Murder of Magpies as your first novel!!!

When would you say you first considered yourself an author?
It’s a hard question because it means navigating the distinction between author and writer. However, when I signed with my current agent I really began to own being an author.

How did you come up with the title A MURDER OF MAGPIES?
Birds, and Vayda’s nickname of Magpie, were a theme in the book, so when I was asked about re-titling the book, I looked to magpies and knew that a colony of them had several names: a tiding, a charm, a murder … A MURDER OF MAGPIES had the right rhythm and tone that matched the book.

The title is an awesome one at that and I have to say the very thing that interested me in the book. Great choice!

What did you base your ideas off of when writing A MURDER OF MAGPIES?
Coming from a superstitious family with Romani heritage, a lot of that fed into the story. And I’ve always been fascinated by psychic abilities, particularly abilities tied to energy and emotion, and it seemed like a natural place to go when developing this story.

I have to admit the psychic talents are a love hate relationship with me. I want them so bad I hate that there maybe others out there that have them. Then again I realize that it would be cool and yet a hard burden on anyone who has those abilities. 

Did you get inspiration from a song or pictures? If so can you share that with us?
I’m quite visual and artistic and I’m also a musician from a musical family, and music and pictures do play a huge inspiration when I’m worldbuilding. I have a Pinterest board for A MURDER OF MAGPIES (http://www.pinterest.com/saery/a-murder-of-magpies/ ) and I’m on Spotify as SarahBromleyAuthor and have a playlist for the book there.

That is so awesome music is huge in my house. We have playlist for every emotion and event that occurs so it's pretty cool to find others who think along the same lines!

How do you keep track of your world? Do you have spread sheets, post its, or just tables and tables of stuff?
I wrote this book back in 2008, so I’ve had the story and world in my head for years. In keeping track of it, I have family trees I’ve drawn and notes I’ve taken on the various story threads. It’s kind of a messy jumble, but I know exactly where everything is!

This is the part of writing that has always fascinated me especially with the sheer amount of world building that a lot of authors do. I would love to see the family trees at some point.

Can we expect a series from this world? If so, will it be same characters or different characters same world?
I anticipate this to be a three book series that follows the Silvers with some new character who further complicate their lives.

Who is your favorite author to read?
I love Shirley Jackson. Her works are haunting and creepy, and they are so full of meaning.

I always hate asking this question b/c there are so many favorite authors out there! I will admit that I have never read Shirley Jackson so she just went onto the must check out list! Thanks for the suggestion!

How do you pick a book online or in a store? Do you look at covers or actual book blurbs?
I usually check out the cover copy and see if the story interests me, and if so, then I’ll read a few pages before deciding whether to buy it.

I am a cover whore I totally admit and I will be honest and say your cover would have me reading the back blurb as well!

What was the hardest part about writing your book?
I dislike first drafts. They’re messy and slow, and it’s far too easy for me to procrastinate because I just want to get the story out in one go and can’t. It was also hard because Vayda’s a girl dealing with the loss of her mother, and so was I.

And since we are a nerd blog… do you nerd out about anything (i.e. starwars, comics, amine, tv?)
I nerd out on a lot of things. Hemlock Grove, American Horror Story, and old horror movies are big ones. I’m a Gothic lit nerd, too. And indie folk rock, the more obscure the better.

We being me is a nerd and this blog has become more of a reading site verses the nerd site that it use to be. That being said I love to find fellow nerds around every corner! I have not gotten into Hemlock Grove it is on the Netflix Queue just waiting for me. May have to bump it  up!

How do you define a nerd?
I define nerds as people who are passionate in their fandoms and are driven to know as much about it as they can, and it’s a wonderful, wonderful thing.

I agree!!

Thank you so much for joining us today I can’t wait to read A MURDER OF MAGPIES! 
Anything extras you want to share with the readers or feel that we should know?
I’m just very grateful for the opportunity to share my dark little book with all of you! Thank you for having me!

I appreciate you stopping by and can't wait to read A Murder of Magpies!!

And if you can't wait to read it either you have a fantastic chance of winning a copy (see below for details!)

Winner will be drawn November 28, 2014
·         Five (5) winners will receive a digital copy of A Murder of Magpies by Sarah Bromley (INT)



Direct Link: 

If you can't wait to win it on November 28th then you can go pick up your very own copy ASAP at one of the following locations! (Which is what I am doing now review to follow!)

Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Kobo | Chapters Indigo! | TBD | IndieBound

Thank you Ms. Bromley for joining us we had a blast talking to you! Congrats on becoming an author and I am sure this book will do so well that we will be talking about your first interviews in a few years reminiscing on how fantastic it was with yours truly ;)

About Sarah Bromley
Sarah Bromley lives near St. Louis with her husband, three children, and two dogs. She likes the quiet hours of morning when she can drink coffee in peace, stare into the woods behind her house, and wonder what monsters live there. When she’s not writing or wrangling small children, she can be found volunteering at a stable for disabled riders.

Connect with the Author: 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping in I appreciate you taking the time to leave some feedback! Hope you have a fantastic day 😄